The new Barbie body types

 I know this is old news, but Mattel has just released 3 new body types for their most popular doll. I'm probably late to the party commenting this, but I just wanted to say a few words about it. 



First of all, I never really understood why some people think of Barbie as some sort of devil that will make their kids feel terrible about their own bodies. As a kid I had a lot of dolls and I never wanted to look like them or have their body. I know that Barbie's body is far from real (she's got tiny feet, for example), but I think that kids can tell the difference between a toy and a real person. I also think it's kind of funny that people point out that Barbie's body is unreal, but nobody says that male action figures have unrealistic muscles that may influence negatively on young boys. 

Being that said, I think that if those dolls had been released when I was a kid, I would have LOVED to have them. As a kid, I wanted my doll collection to be diverse and have dolls of different etnicities and hair colours. The diversity of dolls was the thing that I liked the most about Monster High in the first place. I want my dolls to play different characters and personalities, and I think this new Barbie line is just perfect for that.  It would be so boring if all dolls looked the same, right? 

I really like this line, however, I think that some of the fashions are a little bit childish and could be better, but I'll give this a shot. Here are some of my favourites:
 

Tall fashionista

 I like this one because she has quite a trendy look, but the fashions she brings with her are too princessy for my taste.

Tall fashionista

 Same comment about the clothes, but her face is cute and I love her hair.

Honestly, the petite ones are the ones that find the cutest, but not because of their bodies, but their faces and hair styles.  

Petite fashionista
 This one below looks a little bit like a dark skin tone Skipper


Petite fashionista

I'm trying to pick a favorite from the ones that come with clothes. This is my favourite curvy Barbie, but I'm not crazy about her clothes.


Curvy fashionista
Curvy fashionista

I think that this new bodies bring more diversity to the doll line, as well as the new hair styles and faces. I also think it's great that Mattel is trying to do something more challenging and different, instead of just doing always the same thing and ignoring what customers have to say. I really hope this doll is a succes and this new bodies get an articulated version.

So what do you guys think about this line? Are you planning on getting the new fashionistas?

M.C. 

Source of the images: Mattel shop.


Comments

  1. I'm waiting for these dolls (especially I neeed to have some curvy doll) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I really like the one that comes with sporty clothes.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about these dolls, and I hope to see some pictures of the real thing soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Billa! Me too, I hope they hit stores soon.

      Delete
    2. I saw some pictures of the actual tall and petite dolls posted in a group on FB, they look very pretty and the body proportions are really interesting, I nearly tempted to buy one of each kind to try sew them appropriate wardrobes....

      Delete
    3. I was tempted to buy a couple of them too, but I'll wait until they arrive to my country. I'm totally hopeless with sewing, so I'm probably going to wait until Mattel releases fashion packs or until someone starts selling creations for them on Etsy.

      Delete
  3. I agree with everything you wrote :-). It's very likely that I will get some of these new dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite I prefer articulated dolls, I'm interested in a couple of this ones. I also want to get fashionista L.A. girl, but I haven't seen her in person yet!

      Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. We picked about the same favourites :) One thing I don't like except the clothes and lack of articulation is that a lot of them seem to have Bambi's sculpt which I hate! For example the one with blue hair and with short purple hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!I'm not crazy either about the purple haired one and I like the blue haired one, mainly because her hair is blue. From the curvy ones, I also like the black one that wears a jean skirt. Her style is a little bit simple, but more realistic than other ones.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! (Spam comments will be deleted)

Popular posts from this blog

Retro Review: Barbie Travelin' House playset (1995)

The return of Monster High

Doll review: Barbie Looks model 2 (curvy)